Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I need a minute...

Last night I watched North Country with my mom. Such a great movie. It really taps into what it is like to be a female (and a male for that matter) in a culture that ignores/perpetuates violence against women and children (both male and female). It is based on a true story of a group of women who filed, and won, the first Class Action Sexual Harassment case in history; changing the sexual harassment policies around the country. Riveting. I recommend seeing the movie. You really learn to appreciate the women who have come before us, paving pathways. I do warn, however, that in an effort to make the movie realistic, there are many triggers. So be prepared.

Anyway, after watching it, I had to de-stress a little before going to bed. So I got out my lovely sketchbook, drawing a crazy piece of work. Then I went to bed. Couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about how much I have wanted to say on this blog but don't have the time to write. I only have time to check my comments at work. Now that I'm in Albany, I'm spending time with mom (which is important!) and the computer is in her room. So can't write late at night when I usually do. Anyway...while I was thinking about all the craziness in my life, and how I'm slipping into my old, workaholic habits, I got out of bed to write this...

There's a lot going on right now.

I need a minute.

A minute to run.

To run and hide.

I need to run and hide.

It's okay. It's just for a minute.

I'll fight back tomorrow.

I'm tired today.

I need a minute.

To run and hide...

6 comments:

Cassandra said...

((((Alisha)))))

I have been wondering where you have been.. its good to 'see' you around!

I have seen North Country twice before. It is an empowering, inspiring movie, and it really speaks volumes. at the same time, it bothered me after watching it.. had to decompress some myself...
but I too would recommend it...


*hugs*

imo said...

never saw your blog before, got here from one of your posts on another blog, marj's I think. just wanted to invite you to visit keeperskorner.com where you will find more supportive articles and blogs. hope you will visit it and utilize marj's posting idea if she gets is up. People who have secrets have those secrets eating away inside, it really is best to get them out in some way, shape or form.

peace and blessings

john and keepers

Chas said...

Hm... I'll take your advice & check out the movie sometime. Sorry I haven't been in touch w/ you, just going through a little down time. Hate to say it but I'm in survival mode this week. My C went on medical leave & I won't see her again until sept. 5th *shivers* truth is I don't know if I can wait that long. I may have to go see her partner. I wish you well & I'll be thinking of you.

Nika said...

I think we all needed a minute.... or a lot of minutes, to just be.

Take care

Anonymous said...

Alisha...
I just wanted to say I was thinking about you, and hope you made it to California ok. We miss you back here.
Talk soon.
Lisa

Marj aka Thriver said...

I haven't gotten up the guts to watch that movie yet. Hey, where have ya been? I've had my distraction lately myself, but I'm trying to get around to all my linky blogger friends. Hope you're doing okay.