Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Another Moment

I had a moment. The moment that forced me to want to make a change. These moments come and go. I often make changes after these moments, until I gradually fall back into my lovely little hiding place. One of my biggest moments was after Angela Shelton came to the area. I refused to work more than one job this summer and I promised to get back into my old routine of working out. I worked one job, volunteered as a Rape Crisis Advocate and designed and implimented my own research study. Working out has been sporadic. Why can't I stay committed? Well that's easy...too much pain came rushing forward.

So I had another moment. This week I had the chance to see how some police officers treat victims during their 'investigation.' I can't go into detail. What is important is that it made me sick to see the level of insensitivity that still exists in law enforcement. (not all of them are assholes, but that is said with hope. I've only ever seen the assholes). Anyway, it made me sick. It was a moment. A moment that forced me to commit to another change.

I've been advised by many to get into Yoga or some kind of energy work that teaches you how to center your mind, body, and breathing. I've been considering it, putting it off because of the lack of money. However, after this interview, I splurged. I went out and bought a video on Power Yoga. I'm considering investing in the Yoga Journal magazine to learn more about it. I'm committing to it.

The video says to view the whole tape in full before trying it. So I did. I attempted to do some of the poses to see what it is like. It was odd. I focused on my breathing. Inhale..........Exhale.........Inhale...........Exhale. Wow. You would not believe the power behind that moment. I immediately had tears in my eyes. For the first time in over a month, I slowed myself down, emotions pushed through.

Following the video I read through the yoga journal. It was so peaceful. I was exhausted. So I went to bed. That two minutes of Yoga helped me relax. I can't wait to do the whole video!

I hope this moment that I just had, this burst of energy to make a change, will last this time. It's so hard to make it last. Up and down. Up and down. Round and Round. Stop the damn spinning Alisha!

No comments: