Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Creepy men...

While arriving at work everyday I have been greeted by the creepy cleaning man. How do I know he's creepy?

You know that stare that some men give. The stare that screams, ooooo baby come to papa. Yah, that stare. This man has checked me out from yards and yards away. Staring at me while I'm walking towards the building (the entire time). Uh Hello....I can see you, you fuck. This guy's a bit different in that he actually utters some friendly words (unlike the real assholes who stare women down and howl at them).

He finally gathered his balls and introduced himself to me the other day. I like friendly people who actually take the time to get to know you a bit, rather than googling at you. Only, this is when it turned weird. He asked what I am studying this summer (I work at the college and do research there). I told him. Then went on my way.

Later that day I see him again. No surprise there. He always seems to be on a smoke break. Again, from yards and yards away, he stares. He even re-adjusts himself into that 'cool guy' position (probably unaware that I am smart enough to recognize his foolishness). He proceeds to ask me if we can do lunch sometime. Ummm, no. You're probably 45 years old and you work here. I'm a 22 year old student. Not gonna happen buddy. But I avoided the question. Why in the hell don't I have the freaking ovaries to say, "uh, don't you think that's inappropriate?"

Instead I say that I'm not going to be around. He says, I'll come find you next semester. I laugh...you gotta be kidding.

I hate that I can be so strong, so blunt, so straightforward. But when it comes to these creeps I freeze. What the hell? I'm smart enough to recognize these creeps, but too timid to hold my own.

I've since avoided entering the building near the smoke break table. I shouldn't have to do this. But I am.

3 comments:

Nika said...

OMG I do the same exact thing. I make excuses, I feel like I need to make excuses, like I need to be polite to scumbag creeps.

I keep doing it even when I decide that next time I don't want to be nice or make an excuse... I do!!!!

Lish said...

Thanks for the info (for what it's worth). I'll have to check it out this evening!

Nika, you read my mind. The only reason I ever said hi to the man was because I didn't want to be rude. Then I'd be called a bitch.

I'm avoiding him for now, but if I run across him again...I'm gonna have to react negatively to any inappropriate comments. (or at least that's what I say I will do)

Anonymous said...

hey alisha, it's shahela. that old guy is really creepy. that kinda stuff happens to my friend a lot for some reason on the subways lol. it's not funny but it's just she always ends up talking to them just because she doesnt wanna be rude until they say something really nasty, then she realizes she's getting hit on. me on the other hand, i am at the other extreme. my middle finger automatically comes up with a bunch of curse words along with it. be careful of creeps like that but if that guy does happen to say some other crap like that, like try to get a date out of you just yell the hell outta him. btw, austin says that he would kill him, lol.

off on another topic, your drawings that represent your mom and sare are really beautiful. they have a lot of positive energy to them. keep drawing and post the pics up.

luv ya,
shahela