Monday, June 12, 2006

The philosophy of healing...

Wow. I just had an amazing workout full of symbolism. Holy crap. Today I woke up and decided to snap out of my crappy mood. So I did. Slowly and surely. I ate healthy all day and then decided to do my favorite workout, which happens to be the most difficult. I do like a challenge. (you just witnessed me finding a part of myself...I like a challenge. I do. That's me. My name's Alisha and I like a challenge). ha. Anyway...this particular workout consists of both running and plyometrics (a type of exercise using explosive movements to develop muscular power, esp. bounding, hopping, and jumping, according to webster).

While I was doing the plyometrics, which builds strength in your muscles, I realized how similar this exercise is to healing. Plyos require you to focus on technique, not speed. It's more important that you complete each exercise correctly than it is to finish it fast. This requires you to focus. Now how does this relate to healing? Well, healing is certainly not about speed. Good lord, if it was everyone would do it. It is a long grueling process that requires you to focus. Pay attention to your mind and body. What is it telling you?

Plyos also require balance, which happens to be a necessity for life as well. I have stated before that finding balance in your life is key. If you work hard, play hard. That's my moto. (I know I know, saying it and doing it are 2 different things...I'm workin' on it!).

In addition to balance, focus, and technique (rather than speed), BREATHING is required. Not just breathing, but focusing on breathing. Plyos, if you do them correctly, can be one of the hardest training programs. Funny, healing is the same way. It is harder to heal. Harder to commit to healing than it is to push it away, to take the easy or fast way out.

While I was running, I was thinking about how plyos build strength. The strongest and best athletes do plyos. Healing, too, builds strength. In addition, a team full of athletes who have strength training is likely to be the better team. A world full of survivors who have trained to heal, breaks the cycle and elicits change. There is strength in numbers. But numbers alone won't do it. A team full of the best athletes is not necessarily the best team. Other 'weaker' teams, who are more united, who work together to reach a common goal, are more likely to come out on top. That's because they're on the same page. They don't judge. They encourage each other. Support each other. Unity. There is strength in unity. Imagine, a world full of strong survivors who use their common ground to unite and fight the system...huh, what a concept.

I'm beginning to find what works for me. I cannot imagine what life would be like if I never started playing sports as a little girl. Actually, it's funny to think about how the meaning of sports in my life has changed as I've grown. Initially it was a way for me, a young incredibly angry child, to release steam, anger, frustration. It was a constructive way to release the feelings that I could not verbalize as a child. Today, in addition to releasing my anger through working out, I am able to use the philosphy of sport as an analogy to the healing process; which, in turn, assists me in my healing process.

It's funny, this feeling. Knowing that I'm chuggin' along on this rollercoaster that just happens to be on an incline at the moment. Last week I was falling, falling fast, with no clear sign of an upside. Today, I'm climbing back up. I think I can, I think I can. Hopefully, as I continue on this rollercoaster ride, the hills will get smaller and smaller. Eventually, there may be no hills. Only small bumps. I can handle small bumps. Ahhhh, I can see it coming!

: )

No comments: